Sunday, July 02, 2006

REMEMBERING THAT DAY

My last post was about friendship...
This will also be about friendship...
My friend that recently passed on was so near and dear to my heart...
We were friends for about twelve years. (way too short a time.)
My friend was a huge part of my life... and I have a huge void...
now that she is gone...
from my life.

It was last July when my friend...
found out about the cancer...
I remember the day so well...
My hear sank to the bottom hearing this...
It was less than a year later when my precious Mary died...

During the time when Mary was battling cancer...
I saw her neartly every day...
We had the best and worst of times together...
The best of times were just being together...
The worst of times were when she sufferd so much...
I would cry so hard driving back home...
That I could barely see my way home...

My friend is gone now..
but never gone from...
my heart.

In this poem I am remembering a very sad day...
a day with my friend Mary.
(almost exactly as it happened)

REMEMBERING THAT DAY

I remember that sad day
it is so vivid... just this May
You were so weak
you could not speak.

I wanted to take
your pain away
to erase it all
on that day.

I sat beside your bed
while you slept
I gently stroked your head
while I silently wept.

The nurse that tended to you
was caring and kind
That helped ease
my worried mind.

You could not speak
I wanted so much
to hear your gentle voice
but you were too weak.

I stayed with you
throughout the night
As I prayed the pain would leave you
I prayed with all my might.

When the morning came
you were not the same
You asked me,"Did you spend the night?"
I answered
"yes, I had to share with you the morning light."

I knew
your pain had lessened
I felt free
what a blessing!

I left your room
no longer full of gloom
But when I later returned
you were so weak
you could not speak.


My friend Mary died less than a week after this day.

22 comments:

  1. Such a sweet and lovely rememberance. Your tears are reminders of the depth of your love for your friend.

    May a pair of loving arms hold you and share what you feel inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don,
    Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear this. Your love for your friend runs deep in the poem you wrote, so deep that i can almost feel the pain. Very touching...

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ari4u,
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    And thanks for the kind words.
    I will be by to visit you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its just so difficult to cope with the loss of a loved one. And what makes things worse is that we see them suffer through their illness.

    as child i alwys read fairy tales that said those who leave us turns into stars.... so just pick out your favourite syar in the sky, and call it mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a dear friend. Keep your spirits up cos like you said, She will never leave your heart.

    The poem was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your loss. I too, lost a very dear and close friend to cancer very recently. I know your visits to her were very special because I knew my visits were special to Nanci and her family. She will forever be in my heart and Mary will forever be in yours.
    The comfort that I can only give to you is that she is there watching you as I know Nanci is watching me. That gives me alot of comfort.Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem. Your friend will always be with you.""yes, I had to share with you the morning light."
    That was beautiful. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sunflower,
    How sweet!
    Just pick out your favorite star
    in the sky... and call it Mary.
    I will do that.
    Thanks... you are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. strictly for my friends,
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Yes, I am keeping my spirits
    up... having Mary in my heart
    every day helps me to do that.
    Thanks for the nice comment on
    my poem.
    I will be by soon to visit
    your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. choices,
    Always in our hearts!
    When friends have to leave
    us... we are sad... but the
    beautiful memories never leave
    us. Sharing in your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm so sorry about ur friend..
    what a beautiful poem...

    ReplyDelete
  13. starry nights,
    Thanks for stopping by
    and for the kind words on
    my poem.
    "yes, I had to share with
    you the morning light"
    Those words I wrote give me
    deep comfort... I lived
    those words as well as
    writing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What sweet comforting love you must have had for your friend, and shared together.
    Lovely words, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steve,
    Thank you.
    Yes, the love I had with my
    friend was a souce of true
    comforting love.
    Today,I am missing her a lot.
    Thanks for stopping by again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powerful...incredibly, so much pain and compassion, those past moments live forever, and an instant is a lifetime. I love your tribute, truly, the love and sadness is there as well as the appreciation to have known this special person...very heart felt...much comapassion to you, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. kuan gung,
    Thank you so much for the kind
    words about my poem.
    Looking back upon this day I shared with my friend breaks up so
    many memories...
    In my poem I did feel it all...
    the love, the pain, compassion
    and deep appreciation of the
    special friendship I had with my
    dear friend Mary.
    I will never ever forget her.
    I carry her within my heart each
    and every day now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "yes, I had to share with you the morning light."

    wonderful!
    your friend would have been proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Polona,
    I was so very lucky to have shared
    the beauty of "the morning light"
    with my friend that day.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I am so very proud to have had
    such an amazing friend.
    She was a sister, mother and
    most wonderful friend to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

    ReplyDelete

Each day comes
bearing its own gifts ...
Untie the ribbons.

-Ruth Ann Schabacker