And why did you die, little friend, little bird?
Did your heart truly burst with the joys you
would sing?
Were you flying too far and too fast little one
So gracefully fleet and so bright on the wing?
(your breast, once so red is now dingy with clay
your legs - ah, so tiny - are stiff as two sticks)
The people will miss you each dawning of day
A-carrolling well your sweet vocal tricks
Your spirit went out at the coming of even'
Your singing no longer can echo our sky
Oh, deeply I hope there are birdies in heaven
(if not, I'll be lonely, in truth, when I die)
And now you are soaring afar, little thing
And have passed from our ken to a different place
But there I'll expect to see your bright wing
That you'll greet me anew with your rollicking
grace ...
oh angel that is so sad, and yet so beautiful, of course birds go to heaven all that breathe all that has energy goes back home, to what we call heaven, gosh you almost made me cry....your poetry, happy or sad so deeply affects me, oh angel....
ReplyDeleteLorraine
DeleteSweetheart, it;s okay to cry, I know this was a sad one.
You always make me smile with your lovely words.
Thanks so much . xx
so, so sweet!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much, Janet.
DeleteI hope you are having a great vacation.
its so sad to find those little dead birds....and wonder at what it was that took them...cars....windows....to know that their song is stilled for good...that is the saddest part....
ReplyDeleteBrian,
DeleteThere have been times I have found injured birds and taken them to a bird rescue but this poor bird was dead and it broke my heart.
Thanks for the comment.
Hi Margie! I think we will see birds in heaven for sure. I remember once seeing a dead blue bird at my friends house...it does look odd. I think of birds as always so light, so quick...but all things must pass.
ReplyDeleteYou'll see your little friend again...
Ceil
Hi Ceil
DeleteI so love to hear the birds singing and the thought of them singing in heaven is a lovely one.
Thanks for the visit.
special poem-hugs
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy
Deletehugs back
Bob cleaned our floor to ceiling window in the dining room and the next day we heard the bang of a tiny body hitting it. Once, a large falcon hit the window and lay stunned on the deck, glaring a warning with its amber eyes. If the small birds hit, they often don't survive. The fox comes and carries them away. The circle of life, but sad to witness, as your poem suggests.
ReplyDeleteIt breaks my heart to find a dead bird. We have a lot of beautiful birds in our yard. The other day hubby found one of the doves dead, made me so sad. I love birds. You are a very talented writer. Hugs
ReplyDeleteMaggie
DeleteI too love birds.
Heartbreaking to find one that cannot be helped.
Many thanks on the kind words
Hugs
A beautiful ode to a dead little chirper. Birds are such beautiful little creatures bringing a lot of joy to so many. Alas this little one has passed and hopefully is on the other side to bring us joy when we join it.
ReplyDeleteJoyful
DeleteYour kind words are appreciated.
Thank you.
Sadness at first and then happiness as we all meet again in a better place.
ReplyDeleteYou write so beautifully, dear Margie...like the lovely songs of our feathered friends~
Big Hugs
xoxoxo
Hi Jan
DeleteYou are so kind.
Thanks for the lovely comment.
Big Hugs back
xoxo
I want to cry. So sad. Very touching poem.
ReplyDeleteBonnie
DeleteI cried when I found the little dead bird .
I know this poem is sad but I am happy you found it touching.
Thanks dear lady.
bitter sweet.......
ReplyDelete:-)
tessa~
Tessa
DeleteYes, bitter sweet
Thanks for coming by.
Smiles
Sad tale about the little bird, but you captured it all so well. Lovely poem.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, Daisy
DeleteSmiles
What a sweet and poignant poem. Poor little bird. Your words do such honor to it.
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa
DeleteAnd your kind comment is an honor to me.
Thanks so much.
Bittersweet poem, Margie. It breaks my heart when I see these precious creatures dead. A bird that sings no more it truly heartbreaking.
ReplyDeleteMartha
DeleteOne of my favorite things in the morning is hearing the sweet sound of the birds singing.
When I saw this little dead bird on the ground, i was truly sad.
Thanks for the sweet comment.
Very touching, Margie, this brought me to tears.
ReplyDeleteThanks dear Linda
DeleteI am sorry the poem made you cry , though but that means my poem moved you greatly and that made me feel joy.
Such a sweet poem for the birdie, it will be delighted!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Vandana
DeleteHi Margie - such a woeful tale, sad truth about life .. we go - sometimes there's no reason .. but the song is no longer there .. as Martha says - bittersweet ... I saw a Robin yesterday kill a butterfly ...the butterfly was a peacock and bright - so from afar I could see ... one dies another and its offspring live ..
ReplyDeleteBeautifully expressed words ... cheers Hilary
Hi Hilary
DeleteIt is woeful but that is life.
It breaks my heart to see any dead animals as they are such comfort to me.
Your kind words mean so much.
Thank you.
Margie, there's hardly anything deader than a dead bird. In life, they go "tweet!" and justifiably feel they've said everything that needs to be said. I can't disagree. I am a birdbrain, so are they. There are far worse things to be. I love your poem.
ReplyDeleteGeo
DeleteI love that you loved my poem.
Thank you.
Beautiful words...I saw a dead cardinal the other day and felt so sad. It's hard to fathom that something so physically vibrant can be "gone". It struck me, just like your poem did. Thank you for sharing, Margie!
ReplyDeleteHi Sherri
DeleteMany thanks.
I appreciate the kind words.
Bom dia,
ReplyDeleteLinda homenagem ao passarinho que deixou de voar, poema perfeito cheio de sensibilidade.
Dia Feliz
AG
http://momentosagomes-ag.blogspot.pt/
How kind your words are,
DeleteMany thanks, Antonio
I always feel sadness whenever I see a dead bird. They are such beautiful creatures. The sky loses a friend when a bird dies...
ReplyDeleteKeith,
DeleteIt's so true that the sky loses a friend when a bird dies.'
I felt like I too lost a friend when I found this little dead bird, so sad it was.
Nice to see you, again
Smiles
It is sad when a bird hits the window and breaks its neck. You've captured that sense of surprise and loss well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Carol
DeleteAlways so nice to have you visit.
you expressed this so beautifully and sweetly.. xox
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Cat for the kind words.
Deletexo
you express such deep emotions with simple words. :)
ReplyDeleteMay the bird's soul rest in peace!
Welcome V
DeleteAnd thank you.
Margie,
ReplyDeleteI feel so sad too when a garden bird has died. Sometimes a neighbouring cat, visits and captures a bird..You praise that little life so well, with your sympathetic words.
Just back from holiday and trying to return to my desk, gradually.
Best wishes, Eileen xx
Hi Eileen
DeleteI felt a deep sadness seeing the little dead bird and felt ii deemed an obit ... your kind words are appreciated ....thank you.
Hope you had a wonderful holiday
xx
Such a delightfully uplifting poem!
ReplyDeleteOh I really hope so too...Heaven definitely wouldn't be Heaven without birdsong. :)
Big Hugs xxx
Hi Ygraine
DeleteIt made me happy that you found my poem uplifting.
Thanks dear lady
Big Hugs back
xxx
Such a lovely tribute! What would the world be like without the songs of birds?
ReplyDeleteMany thanks ladyfi
DeleteIf we did not have the songs of birds I would be terribly sad as their sweet sounds add such joy to my days.
Thanks so much everyone for the visits and comments.
ReplyDeleteI so appreciate each visit and comment.
I am having a very busy day today so shall reply tomorrow.
I wish everyone a most wonderful day ....
Margie, I love your words!!! This poem really touches my heart!
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs ;o) Hope everything is well ;o)
Thanks sweet Stacy.
DeleteI am happy my poem touched your heart.
Big hugs
(all is well here, I am busy with Rose and my garden and loving all of it )
Watching birds brings me so much joy - ..i love what you wrote and I do believe birds are in heaven.
ReplyDeleteSandy,
DeleteI know how much you love birds and I love all the wonderful photos you share.
I am glad to know you loved my poem.
Many thanks.