An idle Autum day of faultless sky
I clutched a shining dime that I could spend
For any longed-for thing it would buy
A lovely stillness lay along the street
The sun embraced me in its golden span
The fallen leaves addressed my eager feet
And moved in russet showers as I ran
That perfect day will never come again
And yet I spent it at its proper time
With all the wisdom of a child of ten
As wisely as I spent the shining dime.

Oh Margie I just loved this poem.I can picture a girl of ten running to the little store to spend her dime.was it on candy?
ReplyDeleteI love the story within the poem! Really great, Margie!!!
ReplyDeleteKristin :)
Rhyme it. Dime it. Short and interesting. Thanks!
ReplyDeletePEACE!
A perfect poem for a perfect autumn day.....:-) Hugs
ReplyDeleteAfter a rough, long day, this was just what I needed to read. Thanks, Margie!
ReplyDeleteThat was lovely - a great day, one in a million, that perfect day or a perfect moment in time.;) Experienced only once perhaps for some, at any age.;))
ReplyDeleteI love your beautifully contemplative poems, that speak on so many levels at all times.
Beautiful dear Margie, I really loved this one.;))
As I always love my visits here,
xoxoxo
Zuzana
Your poetry always have the themes of nature and childish innocence and that's what makes it truly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love this...and I can see her too...☺
ReplyDeleteYour poem brought back memories of my childhood walks to our country store. It was just 8 houses up the road, even pennies could get you a small bag of candy. The owner knew everyone by name too!
ReplyDeleteTender-hearted reminiscence you do magnificently my dear lady :)
ReplyDeleteThis poem reminded me of walking to a store about three blocks from our house to a store where they sold penny candy. We went behind the counter and found our candy. The owner of the store knew our names and always greeting us by name as we walked in the door. Loved this one. It brought back such fond childhood memories.
ReplyDeleteHi Margie, this is so nice. I can the ten year old you learning to spend wisely and yet enjoying the experience. You are so right, that day will not be with you again but it will always be a wonderful memory. You have so many lovely memories. I hope your day is as lovely as your poem!
ReplyDeleteHI MARGIE-
ReplyDeleteI love this poem of a time long ago that is perfect in your memory. :-)
Love to you
Gail
peace.....
short and perfect i really enjoyed while reading
ReplyDeleteSo sweet and so beautiful, Margie! I remember when a dime was a serious amount of cash. :) I love these lines - they're perfect --
ReplyDelete"The fallen leaves addressed my eager feet
And moved in russet showers as I ran"
Always so full of gratitude and sweetness your posts... a quite different flashback to the one I posted yesterday
ReplyDeleteThanks my dear MArgie for always being so lovely!!!
:)
There are some lovely songs on the theme of 'fallen leaves' - and here comes your little poem about a girl and a dime walking through fallen leaves to spend the money on some confetti. The imagery is warming the reader's heart.
ReplyDeleteGreat poem :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe woods are lovely, dark and deep,
ReplyDeleteBut I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost
Margie hun this beauuutiful post of ur's reminded me of that graceful & v deep poem by RF. There's so much beauty around us...but we can only enjoy em for a lil while...perfect moments come and go...and we stop and admire...and then, we must continue with our journey.
XO
missed ya!
Keshi.
Lovely, Margie, and so poignant..
ReplyDeletelove that picture! and now i want a poem about what could be bought with the dime :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful poem!
ReplyDeleteAnd I really really loved the picture!
Lena
Hi Starry
ReplyDeleteThanks for your visit and very nice comment.
So good to know that you loved my poem.
Yes, it was candy!
__________________________________
Thanks so much, Kristin.
I appreciate your kind words.
___________________________________
Hello Steve
Always nice to have you visit.
Thanks for the comment.
___________________________________
Thank you Bernie, for the nice comment ... hugs!
___________________________________
Hi Rick
It made me happy to know that my little poem could help.
Thanks so much for the kind words.
And you are most welcome!
___________________________________
Hello Zuzana
Oh, you are so kind and generous with your comments.
You always make me smile :)
Thanks so much!
Enjoy your break and have a wonderful weeeknd!
Shall miss your posts while you are gone.
xo
___________________________________
Thank you Maha for the kind words.
Much appreciated!
___________________________________
Happy to know you loved my poem, Sarah.
Thank you!
___________________________________
Hello Wanda
I had a country store that I walked to, just like you did.
Mine was so close by and the store owner was a family friend and would sometimes give me free candy.
Nice memories!
___________________________________
Loved that sweet comment, Lorraine.
Thank you dear!
___________________________________
Hi Anne
We share very similar childhood memories.
Wonderful memories.
I walked to a little store that was close by and the owner also knew everyone by name.
Oh, those penny candy, didn't you love them?
So nice to know you loved my poem, thanks Anne, for the kind words.
Have a great day, my friend!
___________________________________
Hello TechoBabe
So enjoyed your nice comment.
Thanks so much for sharing it!
You are so kind!
___________________________________
Hi Gail
It was a while ago but it seems like just yesterday.
Thanks for loving my poem.
___________________________________
Hello Travelling Rants
Nice to see you here again.
Your nice comment was appreciated.
Thank you!
___________________________________
Hi Talon
Many thanks for the kind words.
Loved them!
___________________________________
Hello Dulce
Thanks so much.
But there was nothing wrong with your post.
Today's post I loved.
Very, very nice!
___________________________________
Hi Duta
How very kind of you to say that about my poem.
It meant a lot to me.
Many thanks.
___________________________________
Thanks so much, Constructive Attitude.
Dear Keshi
ReplyDeleteOh, how wonderful to have a visit from you!
I have missed you very much in Blogland.
That Robert Frost poem is one of my all time favorites and what an honor that my little poem reminded you of it.
Thanks sweet Keshi.
Be happy, my friend.
Miss you, always!
Margie :)
xo
Thanks so much, Laura fot the kind words!
ReplyDeleteMargie :)
Hi Jessie
ReplyDeleteI know you could write a very good one!
Thanks for your visit and nice comment.
Margie :)
Hello Lena
ReplyDeleteYour kind words are appreciated.
Many thanks!
Margie :)
Margie, this was so beautiful. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIsn't childhood beautiful? Another one of your lovely creations. I very much enjoyed reading this Margie.
ReplyDeletesmiles. you brought to mind perfect days of my own from back in the day...that one may not but i imagine another perfect day will come your way, just different...
ReplyDelete